11 Responses

1. Miss W. October 13, 2015 at 9:16 pm |

G’day Mrs Powers,
    It is great to see a teacher prepared to make mistakes along with the students. Blogging has a steep learning curve at the beginning, so take it slowly. In the challenge, you don’t have to do every activity.

PS If you want to get ahead of your students then doing the Teacher Challenge would be helpful as well http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/blogging-with-students/

PSS If your students are connected to your dashboard> my class then you should have a widget for the sidebar called My Class Blogs. This makes it handy for other students and teachers to find all the students in your class.

2. Miss W. October 13, 2015 at 10:39 pm |

Hi Mrs Powers,
    Go to your blog dashboard> appearance> widgets> drag across Class Blogs – change some of the settings so it shows all the blogs for your class and maybe make it alphabetical then save. See if that works.

1. Miss W. October 21, 2015 at 7:30 pm |

Looks like you have your class blog widget on the sidebar. Every time a student joins your class and you approve them, you will need to save the my class settings again.
      Their name wont appear on the widget until you have saved the settings again.

So might be easier to say to your students that they have until Friday to join the class, then on Saturday , you approve them and update the settings. That way you can do more than one at a time.

You will need to change some settings on the class blog widget. Go to appearance> widgets> class blog> open it by clicking on drop down arrow and change to alphabetical, but also make sure you have the number to include changed from 10 which is the default to the number of students who have blogs you are moderating.

3. Mrs. Wohlafka October 14, 2015 at 10:44 am |

Hi, Mrs. Powers.
    My name is Mrs. Wohlafka, and I will be the mentor for at least two students in your class for the “Student Blogging Challenge” – Kendall and Ryan. But when I click on their blog links, it goes directly to your posts. Could you help them enable it so I can see their blogs?

4. Miss W. October 21, 2015 at 7:34 pm |

G’day Mrs Powers,
    Thanks for allowing your students to take part in the challenge. They have started leaving comments for me on the blogging challenge blog but they are not waiting until you have approved their posts. Their URL is including the words wp-admin or preview. They will need to wait until you have published their posts before they leave me a comment.

5. Miss W. October 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm |

G’day Mrs Powers,
    Me again. Looks like you are starting to get students added to your class blog widget. They are leaving comments for me on the challenge blog but I can’t flip them to our magazine. THis means you need to change a setting.

On your blog you need to do two things:
    dashboard> settings> allow search engines Now I can flip YOUR posts.

But to flip the student posts got to:
    dashboard> My Class> settings> allow search engines> save settings